Blog by: Kimberly Carmichael, DPT
Are you an athlete, parent or coach? Have you been setting goals or helping your athlete set goals for improved progress and performance? If not, you probably should.
If you’re a student-athlete, you must set sport specific goals. This will eliminate procrastination and put you in a position to be recruited to play at the next level, whether it’s varsity in high school or at the college or professional level. If you’re a parent reading this, teaching your children goal setting skills will empower them to achieve great things.
Having realistic, attainable goals will help you put your plan into action and win more games and have more personal success in the sport you love. Having goals that you consistently fail to achieve is going to make you feel like a failure, even if you have already done your best. Having short-term goals allows you to celebrate your effort, boost your confidence and then prepare for the next game or competition. Long-term goals are what you want to achieve in the end or longer term.
Everyone thinks and says, “I want to beat the record,” “I want to win” or even just “I want to get better,” but how do we actually do that? How do we go from good to great whether it be skiing, running, playing volleyball, baseball or whatever your sport is?
Goal setting!! There are some things to keep in mind when setting goals. Think SMART:
S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Relevant
T – Timely
Here are some good examples to get you started:
- Jeremy is a high school basketball player
- He will pass to a teammate 8 times during scrimmages to improve passing in 2 weeks.
- Jeremy will be able to make 8/10 freethrows 5x/week at practices in 4 weeks.
- Rachel is a recreational runner who runs 2-4
miles a couple times a week
- She will be able to run 6 miles in a 1.25 hours in 8 weeks.
- Rachel will be able to run 13.1 miles with an average pace of 12 minutes per mile in order to run a half marathon in 4 months.
If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of our knowledgeable physical therapists in helping you accomplish your goals and get to the next level.